Satellite Intercept Mission is the fourteenth mission in the original Airforce Delta. It involves stopping a falling satellite from destroying a city.
An emergency communication just came in from the Command.
The orbit of a large Federation military satellite is degrading, and the satellite has already begun its descent to the ground.
The estimated site of impact is judged to be in the vicinity of the former Federation capital that was liberated by our forces.
Your mission is to intercept the falling satellite.
Target the satellite's wing area and change the trajectory of its descent.
There's very little time - get to it!
IGNORE THE ENEMY PLANES. You have literally under two minutes to destroy the satellite before it hits the ground. If you HAVE to destroy some enemies, make it the F-15s. They're the only enemies that can actually harm you in this level. The X-36s (despite being armed) and the two recon UAVs cannot attack you. So if you have to stop enemies from attacking you (You REALLY don't unless you're playing on Hard mode, in which case, may God have mercy on your tormented soul), shoot those two planes down.
Otherwise, FOCUS ON THE SATELLITE. It has four "wing structures" (Actually solar panels) you need to destroy. They're all very durable, so focus your fire on it! The time limit is incredibly strict in this level, but if you don't screw around with the enemy planes and focus on the satellite, it's overall a fairly simple level.
- This is the only level in the game where you have to destroy an object from space.
- This level has the strictest time limit in the entire game (At just under two minutes). The runner up for this would be Federation Fleet Obstruction, which has seven minutes. All other levels in the game have ten minute time limits.
- This level is strikingly similar to a level from a flight sim that would be released after this game; Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War has a mission (Simply titled The Unsung War) where you have to destroy a satellite before it crashes into a city. The satellite's design in that game even closely resembles the satellite you have to destroy in this game!
- The two recon UAVs that appear in this level (RQ-3 DarkStar and RQ-4 Global Hawk) are given fictional names (m944 and m367, respectively). It's possible this was done to dodge copyright, since it's very difficult to see the planes directly.
- Oddly, the RQ-4 has a visible missile under its body, despite being a recon UAV in real life. It also cannot attack you in-game.
- In the manual, the city is instead given the name "Argos", most likely due to the the common translation issue of "L" and "R" being interchangeable in the Japanese language.
|Airforce Delta Missions|
|Home Air Defense · Federation Fleet Obstruction · Military Supply Base · High-Velocity Recon Planes · Dogfight · Escort Mission · The Gorge Base · POW Rescue · Nuclear Transport Blockade · Oil Refinery Seizure · Ceasefire Conference Security · The Silvan Fortress · The Fort Base · Satellite Intercept Mission · The Ice Floe Base · The Mountain Base · Mobile Infantry · The Island Fortress · The True Island Fortress · The Confrontation|